WHAT INGREDIENTS DO YOU NEED TO MAKE A VEGAN JAMBALAYA?
- Bell peppers of all hues (I used orange, red and yellow peppers and they add fabulous color and nutrition)
- Tomatoes, and tomato paste
- Mushrooms, fresh and dry
- Red kidney beans (you can use pinto or black beans with equally good results)
- Oregano and thyme
- Creole seasoning (optional but nice)
- Tamari, soy sauce or liquid aminos
- Parsley or green onions for garnish
- Ground black pepper
HOW TO COOK THE BEST VEGAN JAMBALAYA:
Now that you’ve got all your ingredients together, putting your vegetarian jambalaya is going to be the easiest part. You start out with a base of onions, celery and bell peppers — a combination described as the holy trinity of Creole cuisine.
Next, stir in the tomatoes and tomato paste with the paprika, saute for a couple of minutes, then throw most of the remaining ingredients in.
The rice goes in at the end, and make sure you follow instructions accurately, because you want the rice to be perfectly cooked and the grains separate.
This recipe makes 10 servings, so you’ll have plenty of food to go around for a party. And even if you make it just for yourself, this Vegan Jambalaya will be a party for your mouth!